Capital City Cross is one of the races that helped launch the Central Iowa cyclocross scene!
Come out and enjoy a spectator-friendly venue only a few minutes south of downtown Des Moines.
This is usually a 2 day event at Stone Park, but we are hosting an unsanctioned A/B short-track cyclocross race on Sunday morning followed by Relaycross in the early afternoon. The Sunday events will be held at Mullets which is 1.5 miles from Stone Park.
The BIKEIOWA Racing Team and Midstate Racing know how to put on FUN, UNIQUE and EXCITING events. BIKEIOWA is collaborating with Midstate Racing to make ONE great weekend of Central Iowa cyclocross with FOUR ways to participate: Capital City Cross, CCXSSX, short-track racing and Relaycross.
Races start at 9:30 AM with the last race ending around 5:30 PM.
See poster and BikeReg details for registration, race times and categories.
- 9/22 - NEW SPONSOR - THANKS to JLJ Custom Carpentry in Des Moines for sponsoring the Capital City Cross - Day #1 Men's and Women's CAT 1/2/3 $500 cash payouts! Jordan and his crew specialize in trim carpentry, kitchens and custom cabinetry.
- 9/22 - Hiland Bakery will be bringing donuts for Saturday morning!
- 9/12 - NEW SPONSOR - Erik's Bike Shop will sponsor ALL Master's races
- 9/11 - NEW SPONSOR - Kyle's Bike Shop will sponsor ALL Junior's races
- 9/8 - Main Street Café & Bakery will be onsite for food (healthy wraps, protein balls and more!)
- 8/31 - online registration open
- 8/24 - NEW SPONSOR - RynoVelo will sponsor Women's 4/5, Men's 4/5 and Men's 3/4 races
- 8/23 - RynoVelo will be onsite offering mechanical support, nutrition - gels, bars, water, and bringing a few demo bikes. Stop by and say hello to Ryan!
- 8/23 - Announced collaboration with Midstate Racing
- 8/15 - USAC permit #2022-6281
Haven't raced before? This is a perfect place to see if you like cross. Show up early to get a little practice. Better yet, show up at the Tuesday night practices
and try it out! You don't even need a special bike. Mountain bikes and fat bikes work great. All you need is: two wheels, a brake on each wheel, a freewheel, and handlebar ends that do not point forward or up. SUPER SPECTATOR FRIENDLY
If you have never been to a cyclocross race, you are missing out! This is FREE entertainment at its best! There is action everywhere and you can watch the race from several vantage points! Kick back for an afternoon and watch cyclocross! Bring lawn chairs and park yourself, or check out the whole course.
- Racing all day
- Capital Kid's Race - a fun, free race for 9 and under
- Capital Kid's Course - a separate mini-course that kids can practice with parental supervision
- CCXSSX - a 5 lap singlespeed elimination race - $1000 purse - winner takes all
Amenities are limited at Stone Park. This is a park in the middle of a residential area.
- Bring you own water and food
- Kid-friendly: there is a playground on the east end of Stone Park
- Dog-friendly: please keep 'em on a leash and pick-up after 'em
- Two kybos on site
- There is room for team tents - please keep it compact
- There are convenience stores and restaurants 3-5 minutes away if you need last minute supplies
- No bike wash
Stone Park is a neighborhood park minutes from downtown Des Moines. This is the same park used for the Tuesday night Renegade Cyclocross practices. The park is fairy flat with a nice rise on the south side.PARKING
There is plenty of parking off SE Fulton Drive (west side of park). Some paved and gravel parking available, but mostly grass.
PLEASE DO NOT park at community center on the east side of the park.
FROM OUT OF TOWN?
You are so close to downtown Des Moines where there are plenty of great restaurants and hotels to spend the weekend.
From I-235 it is only a couple of miles
Thanks to Iowa Beverage who sponsors BIKEOWA with all the Miller Lite
banners along the course and for el Bait Shop
who sponsors BIKEIOWA's Racing Team.