With classes back in session, the City of Iowa City is eager to welcome new cyclists to our community. As Iowa's onlySilver-designated Bicycle Friendly Community, we have miles upon miles of trails for cyclists to explore, and plenty of infrastructure to get you to and from school, work, or home safely.
Here are some tips to help keep yourself and your bike safe:
- Wear a helmet and other safety gear when riding bikes, scooters or skating and skateboarding. Studies show helmets can cut the risk of head injury in half.
- Wear bright-colored or reflective clothing.
- Know and obey the rules of the road, learn more atwww.bikeleague.org.
- Always ride with traffic, never against it.
- Parents should be aware of where their children are going.
- Cyclists must respect traffic signs and signals, travel the right direction on one way streets, stop for pedestrians in crosswalks and use lights at night.
Protect Your Bike
- Register your bike with the Iowa City Police Department.